Thursday, May 11, 2006

Unintended consequences, interconnectedness and 2 sides to every story

A friend wrote me about an earlier posting ( Corn Planting day, Part 2 ) and commented that he and his wife were noticeably benefited by the new Medicare prescription program and that the savings would allow him to buy more of my good produce this summer. As is my unavoidable nature I dwelled upon this for several days allowing my mind to cascade through numerous related and unrelated subjects. One of the things which caught my eye during that duration was the recent tax cut which gives 70 billion dollars back to Americans. Normally I might think this is a good thing, but the mainstream media made sure to polarize the issue by pointing out that about 60 billion of that would go to the richest people in the U.S.

Which of course immediately makes a poor fella like me a little angry. But then, as is my unavoidable nature, I reflected on what my friend had said. Now I realize those rich folks will mostly waste that money on frivolous things like boats, electric dog polishers, gasoline powered turtleneck sweaters & etc. but they've got to spend their money somewhere. After all money is meaningless until you spend it. And if that means I can sell more electric dog polishers then so much the better for me.

Just the kinda thing that makes a guy think.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

I think that the MSM is so distorted in their reporting that you can't trust their definition of 'rich' or 'wealthy' in regard to tax cuts, etc. As self-employed small business people we have benefited from these tax cuts. Are we wealthy or rich? It depends on your definition. To the people who rent a trailer in the mobile home park down the street we look pretty rich, but to the doctors and lawyers in West Knoxville's million dollar gated subdivisions we look like common white trash. The MSM use words like 'rich' and 'wealthy' because they are inflamatory and subjective. The benefits we've gotten from tax cuts go directly back into the economy in the form of purchasing more equipment, etc. It's not going directly into our pockets, though I'll admit that our family budget might be a little more forgiving now than it was 5 years ago. I'd say that most of the people who do benefit from tax cuts are more like us than Bill Gates! lol Also, last year we were able to donate to charity the most we've even been able to. And the MSM never tells the flip side of how many families pay no income taxes at all due to Earned Income Credit and the increased child tax credit, etc. Many middle income families get refunded all they paid in and sometimes even more. But you won't ever hear about that on cnn!

Of course, I get pretty pissed when I hear about these corporate ceos getting ridiculously large compensation. And just last night the local news reported about the raises given to congressional aids (up to 28% in 3 years) compared to other state employees average raises of 9% over 3 years. Now, that's just not right!

I like the way you reflect on issues. I'm the same way.