Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Maw of the Storm

We were just finishing up the deer fence around our melon/tomato/pepper field when the showers started. The wind set in and the sky began to turn grey, then dark blue. As we tightened the last wire and then drove the tractor towards the equipment area the down pour hit in earnest. Dad and I quickly covered the motor on the spray rig and ran for the car. What a feeling to just escape the teeth of the storm and then watch it unfold into a vicious cloud burst as we drove for home. Our hair and clothing soaked we made one last dash into the house to be greeted by Sparky.

Last night I had one dream which stood out in my mind. I was in a small storage area/lean-to or wood shed looking at some apple boxes full of the usual personal possessions you might find stored in apple boxes. I suddenly noticed a large green plant growing in the open end of the building. It was a huge specimen of Horsetail, Equisetum which unlike most of its species had huge branching arms. As I got close to it the wind picked up and the thing thrashed at me. I studied it for a few seconds noticing large, strange globules near the tips of its branches. I grabbed on to inspect it further and could feel the tough fibrous quality which equisetum has. I tugged on of the unusual globules and pulled it loose from the plant which continued to thrash in the wind, scouring my skin with its fibrous fronds. I broke open the fleshy sphere and studied the contents which looked much like a broken open seaweed pod. Juicy and translucent with a J shaped groove or hollow inside.

Don't know why that dream stuck with me. Probably because of the utter foreignness of the giant equisetum plant.

Wishing you a pleasant evening and a night full of restful slumber and playful dreams.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Sort of a weird thing here. (I hope I'm not getting on your nerves with this stuff.) I was looking for interesting stuff in my yard yesterday and found a really cool pod-like thing that I think was probably some kind of egg sac. It was under a rock, and it looked kind of like a flattened pearl but I could see several round yellow seeds or eggs inside the center. I was bringing it to the house when it fell and was blown away by a breeze. When I have a chance I'll look it up to try to identify it. I didn't know what horsetail looks like so I look it up.

Guy said...

Sounds like a spider egg case.

I put a link up in this posting to the wikipedia entry for horsetail, it grows just about everywhere especially in moist areas so you probably have seen it before.