Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Rip snort'n

Having a great day so far. Moved a bunch of plants to the cool part of the big greenhouse in prep for tomorrow's 90+ degrees. Going out now to put fertilizer down for the early tomato, lettuce, and summer squash rows. Super-phosphate and calcium nitrate in the first couple rows then lime and triple 16 in the last 3.

Yes, I use chemicals. The biggest 2 chemicals I use are carbon dioxide and dihydrogen monoxide. Both of which can be very deadly. That's CO2 and water without which life on this planet would be impossible, in case some organic fruit-nut wombat is having apoplexy at the thought of me poisoning the planet with my "deadly chemicals". You can drown in either one of them if they are deep enough.

I hardly ever need to use synthetic pesticides, which is what most people should actually be worried about although biological and organic pesticides can often be more dangerous than the synthetics (rotenone and nicotine both from plant sources are quite nasty, look it up...) I really don't understand the fear over part-per-billion trace residues anyways. As if having 800 nuclear devices detonated on the surface of the earth didn't dramatically drive up the tritium and other radio-isotope count everywhere. What's a few dozen molecules of mostly broken down Sevin gonna do compared to that?

Oh, enough gloomy text. It's a lovely day with wonderful butterflies and hummingbird working the bushes in the front yard and I have productive work to do. One could not ask for more.

Wishing you a happy day of freedom and wonder.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

You make an excellent point about chemicals. I have to admit that I have the outside of my house treated by the exterminator on a quarterly basis. I don't have the inside treated, but I would we were infested with roaches or some other nasty thing. I think that minimal use like that is probably more beneficial in the overall than no use at all.