Monday, May 08, 2006

Once more with the hubris

I was so excited to get corn in, I should've known the universe would take a dim view of my zealotry.

So one thing after another and by the end of the day, still no corn in the ground. And with tomorrow's appointment and the niece's softball game in the afternoon it will be Wednesday before we can make another attempt. Say Lah Vee, eh?

It is interesting how the domino/butterfly affect works. My nephew-in-law left a piece of steel laying in my brother's lawn which caused him to fracture 2 spindles on the riding mower he was borrowing. He was livid, no doubt. So then dad brought the mower home to work on it instead of dropping it off at the other field. Each event after that consumed an additional 20-30 minutes apiece until we were so late getting into town that by the time we got home (from getting fertilizer and some funnels for the seeder; to complex to explain...) it was too late to seed.

So I've been mowing in the vineyard for the last several hours. Which is cool because the vineyard is the only dream from last night I can recall. I've been having these odd dreams on and off about having neighbors with additional property to lease me long term for quite some months now but only last night did the entire series stay with me upon dreaming of finding an heirloom vineyard buried beneath blackberries in that field. Weird, I hardly ever dream of farming. Last night I dreamt of cleaning out the large old canes and getting them ready to produce a big crop, which is more or less what we are doing in one corner of our own vineyard. No idea why my mind cast the whole thing that way.

Life, happiness and freedom to you.

No comments: