Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tell the president of China

Just got through with another Chinese frustration torture ala Walmart.

Had a battery that I needed to charge, it was drained (not dead, just out of juice) and I needed a new battery charger so on the way home from my niece's softball game dad stopped at Walmart; bought me their best (made in China) battery charger.

When hooked to the battery it refused to charge, just kept flashing the "Check" light. Turns out they designed it as a "smart" battery charger which is supposed to detect the battery before it will start charging. I'm standing there staring at the thing. With a little testing I figure out one thing: it works great when hooked to a battery which is already charged. Now just how smart is that? As safety features go it stinks since now I'm tempted to go on a shooting spree in Walmart, since I can't go on one in China (totally kidding here, I'd never do such a thing!)

It makes me wonder if I should be afraid of the Chinese because it is such a clever way to destroy a country: by undercutting their business competition with low price goods which in turn are utterly useless to the consumer who is forced to endure another wasted trip to Walmart. Or, should I feel sorry for them because this is actually their gods-honest best attempt at manufacturing something which should be a simple product?

Anyways, here's a picture of the damn thing, try to avoid it:

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

That's a good question. I love/hate Walmart. I love that I can get things cheaper now than 15 years ago, but I hate that it's all made in China.