Monday, April 17, 2006

A bibliophile's nightmare

Whoa is me! Calamity, disaster and despair.
I just found out that the Jackson county library system has had it's O&C funding pulled. If we don't get a districting bond passed between now and next summer we'll lose all 15 branch libraries.
If you haven't had the fortune to enter a Jackson county library, let me tell you! It is one of the finest library system's I've ever been in. Certainly the best on the west coast. I've been in libraries in every major city from San Diego to Seattle and on the whole none of them can beat the service, efficiency and efficacy of the Jackson county library system.
And to really ice my aggravation cake I've found out that the county commissioners are playing political pool in an attempt to leverage the library system, basically holding the libraries hostage. Neither of our senators are doing anything about it either. And el Presidente supremo Boosh has denied any extension to our O&C funds as well.
The clouds of stupidity gather on the horizon of southern Oregon. Will the rain of chaos come and wash away all those who might dare to learn and think?

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

That sucks. I hate all politicians. I wonder if someone could do a 'grass roots' kind of thing to help?

Guy said...

I'm hoping I'll have the time to make it so. This is predominantly a retirement community and tourist trade economy since they killed the logging industry here (hence the loss of O&C funds) So I can count on the retired people because they all love the library. But the newbies who have moved in from california are all pretty indifferent and probably figure it's an unnecessary luxury. I know that's where the politicians are coming from, because who needs an informed intelligent electorate anyways?