Sunday, April 23, 2006

deep dreams

Some heavy stuff last night, even a tiny bit of lucidity in my dreams.
Found myself visiting with an old friend, Scott Davis. He'd put on some weight. We were at the coast touring through some dilapidated buildings which turned out to be craft shops. At one we found a curio shaped like a translucent red snake wrapped around 2 dice. It reminded me of a ter'angreal from one of Robert Jordan's books and I told Scott about it excitedly. I think my reading about quantum probability influenced that one. I entered a deeper dream state then which is foggy now. An episode of time later I found myself wandering in a swampish region near a desert where some people were having a gathering. I spotted a fellow wearing a turban who kept trying to hide behind a towel draped across a dead tree. In a nearby glade another man was hanging snake skins on a tree to dry. He told me they were for a special charm he was making. I threw up my arms and thunder rumbled in the distance. The man flinched and said "I wish you would stop doing that!" Again some time passed between dreams and I found myself walking across the roof tops of mills and factories in the nearby town of Grant's Pass. I began to traverse a suspension bridge which was made of cable and noticed a graduation going on beneath me. The bridge was very high in the air and began to sway and tremble and seemed about to pull apart. Then I woke up.

Now most of that I can tweak a series of psychological perspectives out of easily enough. Much of the rest I can derive from reprocessed memory. The last bit was particularly vivid as if lit by early morning spring light. But really nothing of significance there except for the further practice of refining my dream attention. Maybe a little insight about the mullah snake magic if one believes in such things. I avoid the blindness of skepticism as much as I do that of credulence.

Well, it may be Sunday but the good weather forces me back onto the tractor today. If I knew for sure it would rain Tuesday I'd wait but since chances are low I've got to bust down everything I plowed yesterday with a disc today or I'll be planting in slabs of sun baked adobe.

Freedom and happiness!

4 comments:

Nenya said...

Hi :)

Very cool dream. Aren't lucid dreams facinating?
Ever tried to look at your hands in a dream? For me in lucid dreams it helps to become more lucid.
And if I notice everything gets foggy and blurry I try to look at things more closely..anything..a vase..a chair.
Greetings from Germany

Guy said...

Ah yes, the ol' look at your hands thing. That's a classic toltec technique for sharpening dream attention. I prefer not to interfere with the evolution of my natural dreaming senses. Volition is fine attribute to cultivate however it restricts the scope of advanced dreaming. It also has a tendency to attract unwanted attention from exterior forces.

Rae Ann said...

In my studies of Shamanism I've learned that snake medicine is that of transformation and healing through the death/rebirth cycle. Not that you have to literally die to be reborn, of course. Is that similar to what you've studied?

Guy said...

I've heard such interpretations before but find them highly subjective. There are too many animals and sub-groups for a nice linear understanding to fit well. Snake magic is deep and old and well polished by ages of time. The human relationship to it is a different matter as we have been victims of snakes and have fed upon snakes but have seldom if ever been prey to snakes (at least not since the hamster stage; if you believe in evolution...) My dream was definitely of a snake mage of some sort, possibly a Sufi working some Qu'aranic magic of his own against us terrible infidels. I loved what they did with snakes in Harry Potter but a modern mage in our world working such mischief is troubling.

Did you hear about the spell being cast upon the entire earth on May 5? http://www.minispells.com is the place doing it. Good luck to them and their magical marketing venture! Mixing magic and marketing seems a freaky brew to me! Reminds me of the ShadowRun series of books, the return of "manna" and all that. It was set in the early 21st century. Uh-oh!