Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Waters of rejuvenation

Wow! I just did something I haven't done in a decade and it feels like it took a decade off my age.

I jumped into the very cold, very wild, Rogue River. A few minutes of swimming and a few minutes of back floating was all I could take as my lungs constricted from the icy snow melt. After running the mower up and down rows of corn for several hours, getting sticky sweaty and covered in little specs of grass clippings, corn pollen and weed seeds the silky feeling of wild, cold liquid joy was spectacular.

The farm news update: sweet corn is less than 2 weeks away. We've been picking zucchini and yellow crookneck squash for a couple of days already. There are still a couple of good heads of lettuce from our earlier attempt left and the tomatoes have began turning white here and there, I should bring a couple home to ripen in a sack. A few of our early cantaloupe are getting that grayish cast indicating they are coming along quickly. Also cucumbers and beans are flowering which means about a week until our first mess of green beans and a bit longer until cukes.

Hoping your day is productive, safe and joyful.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

I just thought of the Talking Heads song, "Take Me To the River."