Friday, July 21, 2006

Monsoonal moisture

Glah! was it hot, sticky and muggy in that corn field today as we put down fertilizer. My eyes fixed forward on the rows to either side as we rocketed, bumped, jiggered and rolled down the walkway. Steering a garden tractor over rocky, bumpy ground at maximum speed while trying to avoid hitting the corn to either side can be quite a lesson in concentration.

The clouds were building quickly overhead as the sweat burned my eyes. I didn't have time to check the weather until we were done moving irrigation pipe. Then, as we went down for a dip in the river, I noticed it was starting to sprinkle. Wow! clouds everywhere and surprisingly no thunder. Perfect corn growing weather.

The river was cold! Without the sun to take the edge off I quickly got chilled even once I had swam for a while and gotten used to it. Goose bumps burn lots of calories, I hope. The cool of the wild Rogue seems to still be clinging to my skin, either that or it's just the sudden drop in temp. It was 92 when we went back out from break and now it is 89 and still falling.

Hope your day is fine and sweet.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Somehow with all the hard labor you do I don't think you should worry about burning calories with goosebumps. lol

Guy said...

All that hard labor is offset by my sublime skill at stoking up the calories. Especially when it comes to ice cream!