Friday, July 28, 2006

First cantaloupe of the season

My early Old Standard variety melon has yielded up a couple of gems. The aroma filled the cab of my pickup on the way home and just about drove me nuts. I've been keeping the seed from the first melons to ripen in this variety for 3 years now and already we are seeing a markedly earlier harvest. Of course fruit size has gone down a little but the taste is as delicious as the original Old Standard which we still raise as well. So we will be able to open with at least a few ripe melons for the first time ever. Here's a pic:

3 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Cantaloupe is my very favorite melon. Looks really yummy! I hope you savored them.

skippa said...

I want to know the conditions under which cantaloupe will grow.Can someone help me??

Guy said...

I suggest visiting the numerous department of agriculture sites available via Google. Without more info about where you are, soil type etc. I really can't help you.