Thursday, September 21, 2006

Last day of summer

I noticed an immediate sensation in my eyes, mind and belly coming home. Today was the last day of summer and though I knew the equinox was coming I didn't realize that it was tomorrow until I checked at Stardate. But my body certainly felt the creaking turn of seasons as I drove home in my dusty green truck.

I'll be eating the last watermelon of summer this evening, striving to relish it with all the earnest regret for all those summer things I failed to appreciate enough this last season. Fireworks on the fourth of July, slightly burnt hot dogs from the barbecue grill, crickets singing in the balmy summer evening breeze. Hot, hot days with sweat stinging my eyes and a cold river crying out for a swim. Thunderstorms and the smell of fresh mowed lawn.

Wishing you a fine and feral evening to grasp at one last summer's pleasure.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Happy Equinox! So long Summer!

Rae Ann said...

I hope everything is okay there. I hope your absence from the blogosphere just means you've been really busy selling stuff.