Thursday, May 10, 2007

Watermelon Thursday

Woke up with a crook in my neck and a crimp in my shoulder and pectoral muscles. Probably from spraying yesterday, an unusual posture and lengthy exertion can lead to such affects. Naproxen didn't do the job so after a while I took an acetaminophen and that finally seemed to loosen up some tissue. Was really quite painful until then.

Today was another day of unnecessary struggle. But we finally got the first watermelon in the ground. Four 360 foot rows. Had to dig mounds and put water in them before planting because the field has gotten too dry. Of course we were supposed to have water in the ditch several days ago but thanks to the bunglers who run things we're probably still weeks away.

The day itself was quite lovely, the shadows cast in bright spring sunlight were sharp and clear. Dark green trees and lush grasses decorate the landscape. Soil is warm to the touch. But despite this natural grandeur I was reminded again today that our farming days are numbered in a somewhat more countable region. Dad will be turning 70 this summer and I'm no spring chicken anymore myself. Spring is a time for hope, optimism and enthusiasm but the bright sun hides few truths.

Wishing you all a spiritually uplifting day.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

My dad turns 70 next month too. This week I've been bemoaning my own less-than-graceful aging. When did we get so old? ;-) Hope your aches and pains are better now.