Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Death of a link

For a bit over a year now I have been enjoying the rants and meandering thoughts of a delightful gentleman from egypt. At the right, further down this page you'll see his link "Rantings of a Sandmonkey" I am saddened to announce that "Sam" as many of his readers call him will no longer be blogging with us. He has been so threatened and harassed by agents of conformity within Aegypt that he had to quit for fear of his and his family's safety.

I used to think Egypt was just a lot of sand and bloody, murderous barbaric muslims. Then Sam enchanted me with stories of his friends, family and current affairs of Egypt. I was particularly amused by the story of his father telling him to smoke some hash before he went to a wedding he was dreading. His mother said "You better not!!" I just had to laugh. It was so, human.

But now, I'm forced to return to my original view of Egypt: Bloody, barbaric muslims.

No greater disservice could have been done to the spirit of Egypt than depriving the world of the voice and views of this one smart, kind, caring and wholesome individual. Good luck, Sandmonkey.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

What a shame! It's so enlightening to read and hear about the daily lives of people around the world, and it does so much to reduce conflict because of seeing that humanity. I saw a documentary about Afghanistan a while back that showed a family living in a cave because their village had been destroyed by the Taliban. Even though they lived without electricity and running indoor water they had the same kinds of personal issues and conflicts with each other as any of my American friends. The older man complained that the younger man wasn't working hard enough to support his family, for example. It kind of breaks my heart to hear about the horrible conditions that so many people still endure in this 21st century. I hope Sam will be okay.