Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Water Wednesday

Set sprinklers at farm#4 this morning. That's next door to farm#3 which is across the fence from farm#2 which sort of makes it all the same place but let's try to keep things straight here.

Then mom and dad ran errands in town while I moved sprinklers at the old farm(#1) I also replaced the filter on the tomato drip system and ran a few more of my minor experiments. Ran some silicon solar cells through my ball-mill thus reducing them to a fine flake. Will be tinkering with that as part of a coating for some intricate ceramics I will be working on this winter, I hope.

After lunch dad and I put the finishing touches on the sprayer which I have dubbed "Scorpion" due to its appearance during an early stage of its development. Sort of looks like a land-speed record baby carriage now, but who cares as long as it kills weeds.

Lots of damned mexican bean beetles (also called the cucumber beetle) flying around the melon patch this evening. Will have to do something about that as soon as the ground dries out enough to drive on.

Going to bed soon, early to rise and all that. Hope you all have a refreshing and restful night.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Northern Tools (website is just their name dot com) sells various solar panels and accessories as well as lots of other cool-looking tools and stuff. I don't know enough about it to know if it's any good, but I like looking at the catalogs they send out. I guess you have some kind of stores like that locally though.

Guy said...

Northern Tools is pretty cool. But for my experiments (beam robots etc.) I buy my solar cells in bulk from the Electronic Goldmine. They come broken but usable in a 3x5x2 box full for about 5$. Just solder, glue or clip each surface to an electrode and they generate a nice little voltage. Also an easily accessible source of n and p doped silicon if you don't care about them being co-mingled. Which I do not for the cause of many ceramic, pyrotechnic and materials experiments.