Thursday, May 31, 2007

Difficult Thursday

Started early and rocky after only 5.5 hours of sleep. Then pushed about 65 pounds of sprayer up and down about 4.5 miles of corn row until after 12:30. Weeds should die wonderfully.

After lunch retrieved the big sprayer for some cosmetic repair work and refitting. Should work a lot better now. Needed it at the old farm for weed control around the roads and etc.

Took a two hours break during the hottest part of the day, between 3 and 5. Got to about 94 degrees here today. Scorching, the blazing sun has arrived. A few weeks early at that but the tomatoes seem to be loving it. Supposed to cool down mondayish which will be a good time to get the last of our pepper and cabbage plants in. Tomorrow if all goes well beans and squash will get planted.

This evening I mowed a huge patch of weeds and cover from the northern most, lowest patch of terrain here at the old farm. Chased a couple of yearling deer out of there while I was at it. Lots of people think deer are special animals, but to me they are just a gianormous long-legged rat, desperately in need of eradication. There was alot of traffic on the driveway after I got them out of that region so there's some hope that with the cover gone and them chased several fields over from where they had been that maybe at least for tonight they might stop crashing through my fence. We've got a plan to augment the fence with several hundred feet of polyester fiber mesh called "Deer-X" which should keep them once again constrained.

Very tired. Wish you all the best, peace, happiness and pleasant dreams. Good night.

3 comments:

Don said...

I've just retired, and am finally working "full-time" on my vegetable garden. I stumbled on you blog while playing around with one of my own. I would love to see pictures of your operation there if you have a web-site anywhere. And I tried that fiber deer screen... two squeezed under it where it came loose from the ground. When I yelled at them they turned and ran full speed right thru it.... once they figured it out, they never stayed out of the garden. Now I've finally fenced in the 1/4 acre with an 8' fence...REAL fence.

Rae Ann said...

I hope you've gotten enough rest and recovered from the difficult day. Totally agree about the deer. Goddamn Bambi is responsible for all the deer lovers out there. ;-) If they only knew that real deer are nothing like Bambi maybe they'd get over their delusions. Hope your Friday is better!

Guy said...

Hi Don,
I post pictures up here all the time, dig around a bit in my monthly archives and you'll see loads.

Deer-X works best in the small garden when applied directly over the plants to be protected, not as fencing material. In my case, it will only augment an already existing REAL fence which the deer have recently penetrated despite my best efforts. They don't go over, they've been diving right through the barb wire part which is where I'll be placing the deer-x. Slow them down enough to prevent the leap that gets them through. Happy gardening!

Hi Rae,
Good nights sleep, thanks. The only thing good about deer is venison. Friday still hot! Uhg...