Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Difficult to describe

Coming back to the barn from a little stroll into the vineyard I was struck by moon and star. The crescent was a perfect thin cup for what I think is Venus, pouring forth springtime energy into the celestial lunar goblet. A dark row of clouds dominated the dimming horizon beneath them. Framing two tall bull pines which stand alone in my neighbors pasture, the celestial pair created a sort of mystical allusion, but an allusion to what?

Today was a burn day so I torched off the big pile of branches and yard debris which dad and I have been gathering for the last few weeks. As the fire raged through tinder dry materials a bed of hot coals rapidly accumulated, aided by a forced air device which dad made from a motor and an old blower fan. Some broken bottles, crushed tin cans, bits of wire (galvanized, aluminum, copper and steel) and various other non-flammable materials had worked their way into the coalescing pile of fuel. As the forced air rapidly dried and combusted the lightest parts of the mass, these sundry bits of red-hot flotsam tumbled into the bed of coals and gradually congealed along with small amounts of melted soil and ash which fell into the mix. The flames took on a most dramatic and lovely color while this happened. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera which probably wouldn't have worked anyways. Should be a fascinating looking mass when it cools off sometimes tomorrow. Hope it rains so as to wash it off. If it looks cool enough I'll post a pic up here.

We also got some fence tightening finished, and now my description is completely out of linear order, but you'll just have to forgive my impertinence.

Like I said, today was difficult to describe.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

Was there a cool glob of stuff after the fire? Thanks for your great descriptions! You make it seem not so difficult.