Thursday, August 17, 2006

Tough week so far

Got up sick and dizzy Monday morning. Thought it would pass like my usual morning discomfort but it only got worse so I had to cut work, sticking mom and dad with the running of the stand for one day. I think it was heat exhaustion from the long Sunday of pick work and blazing sun. Guilt, nausea and dizziness waged war for my attention until the aspirin and motion sickness pills kicked in and I dozed fitfully until about one o'clock, waking up feeling much, much better. Returned to work after 2pm, still a bit dizzy but able to work. Glad to send mom home and get her off her feet. Now, no pity called for here! Except maybe for mom and her sore feet. I'm ok and that "poor Guy" routine won't fly with me.

The week has been pretty busy since, despite being a county fair week in Josephine county. Historically one of our slowest weeks. I think the big corn sign, and the super tasty corn have conspired to set a fire to the grapevine, if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor. Lots of word of mouth business. And an unusually cordial lot too. Very few corn peelers or cheapskates. One bitch did stick mom for 70 cents on a corn purchase today. Mom was busy with another customer and the miscreant threw 2 dollars on the counter and said "Here's two dollars for my eight ears of corn" and then dashed out the door. The lady at the front of the line was like "What! what is she doing! Eight ears isn't two dollars!" we sell our corn 3 ears for a dollar or 35 cents on singles. So the cheap bitch stole 70 cents. Disgruntlement. Mom wasn't about to chase the bitch down, not with her bad hip. We'll keep our eyes open for that P.O.S. again. It sucks that for the hundreds of delightful human beings who have come in I can only reflect a story from that one evil turd. Like they say, good news is no news. It is delightful that the other customer immediately joined us in our sense of outrage. 97% of our customers really are wonderful people. (sorry about the profanity)

Wishing you a shimmering summer day of cold popsicles and a mellow summer night of watermelon dreams.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

I don't know how you can possibly describe yourself as 'lazy.' I hope that corn thief chokes on her stolen corn.

changapeluda said...

Yeah, the evil turd!