Sunday, August 13, 2006

January is my Sunday

That's the mantra I have to repeat to get through days like today.

There was an accident involving one of our irrigation valve risers so we took the opportunity to dig it out and place it in a new spot. Even with the tractor and post-hole digger to do most of the work it was still a full day of picking and shoveling hard ground. We finally got the last bit of pipe glued up and the trench filled about 4 o'clock. The psychological aspect is always as bad or worse than the physical labor; I hate having to clean-up someone else's mess. There's a biblical quote about the ox being in the mire which I don't exactly recall but which applies to days like today. I would've rather been resting. Tomorrow will suck a bit more because of this. But since January is my Sunday I don't have to feel any theological guilt.

A lovely brown-winged hawk flew above the ridge line south of farm #2 as I turned on the water at Pete's (that is technically farm #3 but since it is right next door we just lump it in with farm #2) earlier a bald eagle had been cruising along the Rogue to the north of us.

As we were digging people kept pulling up looking for corn. One fella rolled down his window and shouted "Out of Corn?" and I shouted back "we're closed on Sundays" he looked doubtful, or at least stupid so I continued "we always have been" he drove off. I was to busy to tell if he was in a huff.

The scariest thing happened yesterday. Right at the end of the day we kept running out of corn. Normally business dies after 4pm on a Saturday. I'd send dad out for a couple dozen and as soon as he got back with them a few more people would show up, causing me to send him out again (usually I pick the corn but I was watching the till this time) one fella from Montana came in and said "You've got a reputation all the way to Montana, my friend there told me you had the best corn in the world" now that liked to scare the hell out of me. I don't need no reputation to have to live up to, I'm just trying to grow the best food I can.

I hope life is giving you rainbow dreams and marshmallow wishes.

4 comments:

Rae Ann said...

So sorry to hear that your Sunday was spent fixing problems. That is so cool that you see eagles and hawks a lot. We have some hawks here but they pretty much keep their distance so that we hear them more than see them. That's funny about your reputation. lol I was just jotting down some notes the other day about how miracles and blessings are often a burden to the receiver. You know, I'm sure your corn is worth a trip all the way from Tennessee. If there was any way I could I would!

changapeluda said...

I wouldn't mind tasting some of that corn myself.

Sakes Alive, my hat is off to you! You sound like a regular plumber as well as a farmer, salesguy, writer, and marshmallow wisher!

Guy said...

Thanks a lot ladies, your support is worth more than you might know. A delight to read from you.

Changa- Dig the new image. I always grooved on the ladies who built the machines that kept our boys alive during WWII. The first computer programmers were all women! Oh yeah, add software engineer to that list too. (toot-toot, somebody take that horn away from that boy!)

Rae- If it would keep through shipping I'd have you send me your address. But corn is terribly heat and time intolerant. 3 days in a 80 degree shipping container would probably ruin it. Maybe a melon? Or our delightful pears will be on in a week or so, those ship great.

Rae Ann said...

Oh, yeah, pears and melons are great. Email me and we'll work out something. Do you have a paypal account to send some money for the fruit and shipping? Or I could just send a check.