Thursday, April 05, 2007

Workflow

This morning got a late start because of the flu I'm still struggling with. Dizzy, dizzy when I first get up in the morning. But my head cleared after breakfast and we sidled over to my brothers welding shop to work on the ripper/dragger. Got another couple of good hours of welding experience in, pipe welding today.

Then came home for lunch and several hours of chores, a trip into Rogue River, etc. after 3:00 I gave dad a brake from plowing our new field at (technically) farm #3.

Now there is a fascinating experience not many people get in the modern world. A steel plow churning and turning earth under and over. The deep rumble of rock, soil and stone. The hissing, ripping, shredding sound of dirt and root-mat being torn up and flipped over. All overlaid with the deep rhythmic throb of a diesel engine. This is a power that hearkens back to ancient Sumeria when the first farmer turned land to create a new circumstance for his people.

I was plowing the field which used to belong to a good friend, Byron. He passed away last winter after we had already made arrangements to plant his field with corn. As luck would have it his grandson bought the land and we were fortunate enough to get a second chance. It made me a little sad that he wasn't there to see this day of turned earth but I know that at some level of existence, he was there.

Wishing you a night of pleasant dreams and a day of thrilling discoveries.

No comments: