Thursday, January 04, 2007

Strange Dreams

Had a pretty good night's sleep but was quite haunted the last few hours by peculiar imagery in my dreams.
First I was working in a metal recovery/recycle plant cutting up large metal pipes, 8-12 inch diameters, which seemed to weigh nothing at all. Then I saw my old friend Tom Scott a couple of times though for some weird reason he was calling himself Tom Paul. Spent a good bit of the dream wandering in steep, hilly woods and over streams with moss damp boulders. Got in my car and zoomed around roads that were similar to but quite distinct from the local roads I travel here in southern Oregon. Firs and pines with lichen covered branches dominated the terrain and in flat places small houses squatted like little bear dens. Then Tom buzzed up besides me on a scooter and handed me a slip of paper that had all sorts of words and numbers on it. They were coordinates he told me after I pulled over and turned around to catch him.

There was more, all obscured now by memory and oppressive weirdness. I used to lucid dream quite a bit but since I gave up trying to consciously influence the course of my dreams much of that skill has faded. I found that waking awareness would always intrude on the eventualities of my dreams when I tried to control them. It is quite tricky to strike a balance between volition and creativity.

Off to have breakfast with a friend now. Hope you all have a delightful day exercising your freedoms.

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

Okay, this is pretty freaky because just the other night I had a dream that I could describe *exactly* as you said:

"wandering in steep, hilly woods and over streams with moss damp boulders. Got in my car and zoomed around roads that were similar to but quite distinct from the local roads"

In my dream we (I was with others but now can't recall who) were searching for several things and exploring some shallow caves and various ravines. But much of the detail has faded now. I do recall that we were looking for a bridge and when we found it someone had built a house around the entrance. We went in because it didn't look like anyone was living there. The actual bridge had collapsed though, and when we saw that the people who lived in the house came back and asked what we were doing in their house. But they were nice about it instead of angry that we trespassed. Weird.