Friday, August 31, 2007

Another Friday

Well, we had dad's birthday ice cream cake after it got dark and we couldn't pick anymore. I was so tired I forgot all the gates on our deer fence open so they probably had a "field day" out there last night. This late in the season it probably isn't such a big deal.

Grapes are coming in like a tidal wave now and next week we start picking some apples, I hope. Ate our first black diamond watermelon the day before last. Yumm! Sent a moon-and-stars to my sister's family yesterday. Hope it was ripe, the tendril had been broken off so it was harder to judge.

Gotta go pick, y'all have a great day now.

3 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Ice cream cake sounds really good. We finally got some rain yesterday. Take care of yourself!

hunt1803 said...

Wow, guess I need to stop in and buy some watermelon. My canteloupes are doing fine, but somehow my watermelon hills all ended up in line with a rat or mole tunnel, and they keep eating the roots and stunting them. No surviving watermelons at my place
:(
On another note, years ago my Dad used to advocate putting volcanic ash in the compost and on the garden. He was a civil engineer who dabbled in gardening and brought home ash from the dam sites he was working on. He's long gone so I can't ask him, but have you ever heard of using volcanic ash? Any idea how much to add, and what minerals it contributes?
And to bug you with another gardening question - winter cover crops... What is used here in Southern Oregon, when do you plant and when do you till it in?

Guy said...

Hi Rae,
There's still half the cake left for this evening, hoorah! Glad the weather has taken a bit of mercy on you. Y'all take care too.

Hi 50plus,
Gonna be 10-14 more days until significant numbers of watermelon start showing up at the stand, get there early cause they sell out quick. We're open 10-5 every day but Sunday, of course.
As to your questions: way to much info to type out here. Stop by the stand in the afternoons, my shift starts around 2pm. I can answer your questions better verbally.

Briefly: every volcanic ash is different so mineral profiles vary. Winter cover crops are numerous and also varied depending on soil, purpose and expense.