Monday, June 11, 2007

Silicon Score

Water running on the corn field smells sweet like malt or molasses. Overhead an osprey wheels and kites, her piercing cry drifts down on a mist laden breeze.

I find it a fascinating coincident that long before the digital age mankind was exploiting silicon for its many useful properties. Today's wonderful find in the realms of magic and manifestations was a delightful little reflection on mankind's dexterity with silicon.




I find about one of these every year or so, getting a nice little collection put together. Not of any archaeological value since they come from tilled fields, but quite a thrill for me every time none-the-less. In the same manner I've put together a good pile of jasper, agate, chalcedony, carnelian, fossilized and agatised fossilized wood plus many other unique example of quarts and silicon.

Beneath the blazing sun and bright blue sky, the earth refulgent gives me tiny gifts for my perseverance.

Have a fine and shiny day.

5 comments:

Shari said...

So I guess all the good weather waited till we were out of town - came by GP this weekend, it was fun to see the old places! So those aren't made of rock? That is wild....

Guy said...

Hmmm, when were you here? The weather has been mighty fine for the last week or so. Of course that's from a farmers point of view, the rain Saturday was particularly nice even though it made the graduation ceremony a little miserable.

If you happen to be coming by in August I'll give you directions to our fruit stand and you can get some of the world's best sweet corn.

This fine example of pre-european invasion aboriginal flint napping is indeed made from rock, but rock is mostly silicon dioxide as you should recall from high school chemistry ;-)

Shari said...

I skipped high school chemistry, remember I was more of an artist (ok, and a computer science girl, but oh well...)
I know we are driving through in August a few times, not sure of the schedule. I'll definately get some directions if we are headed that way for any length of time.
We actually stayed in Ashland this weekend. Drizzled on and off on us.Sunday we grabbed lunch at Sizzler and were on the road by 1 or so, although the morning was gorgeous there! Can't believe Piper drivein is gone, and that you have to pay to drink Lithia Water now...the world is a changing!

Guy said...

Hmmm, again. I don't recall you being in computer sciences and I was Amos' student aide for the last 2 years. But then again I don't remember terribly much about high school, those were my pre-actualization days. Must've been hard for teenage girls to squeeze in a minute on the machines with boys being such math hogs.

The relentless and mostly unnecessary transformations of the Rogue Valley continue like a travesty avalanche brought on by Californians escaping the mexican invasion of so-cal. Not to mention the mexican invasion of so-ore. It really sucks watching the place I love get turned into a societal sewer. Now for some stupid liberal to make a comment about my racism or being a redneck or some other elitist tripe.

Whenever you come this way, just get off at the city of Rogue River exit, onto highway 99 (turn right after the bridge) and our place is about 1.5 miles down Rogue River Hwy. You can't miss the corn patch unless you've got your eyes closed. We're generally open about Aug. 1 but this year we might be open as early as July 20.

Shari said...

who needs chat, we have comments!

I wasn't in Amos's class, but I did go to computer camp and do some programming and I think that we connected because I was the only girl who knew basic programming back then :) I was the proud owner of an Apple IIc.

I remember we went out to RCC for a competition - you were competing in computer sci and I was in accounting. Funny, because my dh actually was the lab tech there during the competition (funny how paths almost cross a million times over the years)