Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Holiday spirit or just plain good human

Had to run into Rogue River and buy some poultry seasoning for mom. It is about a 6 minute trip in. Got to Ray's Food Place and found the spice. It was crowded so I picked the second line sort of at random, then noticed that the lady in front of me had a huge basketful of stuff. "Oh well," I thought "I'll just be patient and think happy thoughts" I could've tried finding a shorter line or one with less items but one thing I've discovered is that fate hates a line switcher. So I practiced my patience and tried to exude good holiday cheer.

Ironically I didn't have long to practice, the delightful lady in front of me, looking a little holiday bedraggled herself from unloading groceries and the rain outside turned around and, seeing my one item of spice, said "Oh please go ahead of me." We visited briefly while the checker finished with the person ahead of us and she said something great which reflected my own thoughts "Life is too short to be in a hurry."

What a delightful, sweet person! May this holiday story inspire all of us to try and be at our best as we face the crowds and crisis in this upcoming season.

God bless you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: