Saturday, October 07, 2006

Freaky Halloween vibes

As I was out cutting pumpkins in the fading twilight I felt a cold thrill race up my spine. The chill evening air combined with the faint and flickering shadows of semi-darkness. Surrounded all around with dying, fading, gray tendrils and bright orange/red blobs of amorphous jack-o-lantern spirit my imagination filmed the scene with moving vines and grainy, gray, spiny tendrils that throbbed and shifted with every hissing whisper of the autumn breeze.

Last night was full moon. The opening of the gate and what would've been in some ancient calendars the very upcoming holiday, All Hallow's Eve: the first full moon after the equinox marked a special time once upon this planet. Fifteen days for spirits to roam the world of the living? And if you survive the darkening of the moon, well I suppose some of those little purple and white chewy candies we used to get when I was a kid would be really cool.

I suppose nowadays kids mostly get those individually wrapped mini candy bars but in the early seventies you'd come home with a bag of the most gawd awful combination of candy that a dentist ever dreamt of.

If I don't make it back (before then! jeepers!) ,

Haaapy Halloween!

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Happy Halloween season! The kids have started a tradition of a big Halloween party for their friends. We set up a "haunted woods" for people to walk through. This year it should be the best so far.

Anonymous said...

Great blog...I really enjoyed stopping by to read.