Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Big Greenhouse

The air supported greenhouse is up and working great. Here's pics:
140x35x13high
Outside










Inside:













Notice the black pipe laced with poly rope to keep the thing from huffing in the wind.
Total cost about 1000$ including fan and motor for air support. The plastic has a four year gaurantee but I should be able to get an extra year or two out of it because we take it down and cover it in summer. This is the second year we've had this one up so 2-3 more for sure. The discoloration to the right is just a little dirt that got on it and should wash off in the next rain.

4 comments:

Forrest Higgs said...

I'm guessing that you intend to use the inflatable to either extend your growing season or as a sprouting facility for an outside crop rather than as a year=round operation. Is that right?

What sort of crop(s) are you looking at growing in there?

Guy said...

Hey plaasjaapie!

It and similar greenhouses have been used for both. Last year we mostly used it for an extra early tomato crop. The first 200 or so of about 850 we raised.

This year it will be used predominantly for early pony-pak production. Lettuce, cabbage, brocoli, early squash, early cucumber, cantaloupe, seedless watermelon, bell pepper, eggplant, about 1000 tomatos, mixed cut flowers and many others.
I'll also being pouring some concrete stepping stones/slabs in there for a landscaping project my dad has in mind.
I didn't have time but I should've put a pic of the inflation fan on there too.

If you're ever in southern Oregon between June and October stop off in the little city of Rogue River and check out our stand. We've been selling the freshest produce in the valley for 18 years. I'll kick you down the homeboy discount in respect of your good works.

Keep on Reprap'n , techy brother.
G:-)E

Unknown said...

Who is the manufacturer of the greenhouse? Where did you buy it?
I've been interested in doing something similar but I can't find a suitable supplier.

Guy said...

Well, gardnerchad, if you had enabled your blogger profile so I could quickly hop over to your webpage to leave a comment I would've left you a note describing exactly where to get the plastic. But since I am even lazier than you are, I'll just suggest you look someone up through google. Good luck getting through their mountain of priority advertising links.