Friday, January 30, 2009

Hard times ahead

Yesterday was a great day. We got dad's first slug of chemo put in and he handled it well, little or no nausea or discomfort. He's looking good and feeling good. We stacked firewood that nephew Travis brought over and moved a little furniture around in the house, put mom's new chair in her usual spot.

It's been really tough with our usual plans all awry. I'm hoping and praying that things will go well and that with the support of friends and family we will be able to get the farm open to sell produce again this year. What will happen with dad will happen, it is in the lord's hands now. We will cherish every day we have together.

But I've been remiss in making better plans for the future so now I've got a lot of catching up to do. It is frankly very overwhelming but I believe the lord will help me find the way and that he won't burden me beyond my ability.

The alternative, if our finances can't be kept in line, will be to sell the farm and buy a small place for mom and dad (and me) to live in. I'm really hoping that the community we have served for 20+ years now will help us keep that from happening but it might be part of the bigger plan so I will accept what comes.

Sorry to be so melancholy so early in the day. I'm still finding my way back into my faith so the peace of heart I see in so many of my aunts, uncles and cousins is something I'm still not familiar with.

Hoping you all find that same peace in your hearts.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

I wish I could give you a good hug. I know how hard things are and how heavy the uncertainty can be. It really does suck to deal with this stuff, and I hope you don't mind my commiserating. Keep the faith and love in your heart and you all will be okay.

Shari said...

Guy,
I hadn't logged into your blog in quite a while - I'm so sorry! Cancer is such an evil monster. I remember when my parents' health started to fail how hard it was. I'm glad you have family and have found some faith to lean on. OHSU is a maze, isn't it?
I'll keep your Dad in my prayers.
Shari