Thursday, August 07, 2008

Struggle burrito

Struggle wrapped in challenge and liberally sauced with frustration.

In early spring we had a 2 week illness (probably influenza) then late rains and a June 14 frost which stressed the corn and tomatoes. Then we had the June 28 hailstorm. Now the Oregon Department of Transportation has us in its cross-hairs again. They are getting ready to chip-seal the road in front of our sales stand.

Apparently I must've pissed off someone who works there or some middle-manager's wife or something because last year they totally screwed my September sales by sending out several crews to cut trees and then "repair" the shoulders of the road. Neither of which needed to be done in the remotest manner but certainly prevented many customers from driving our way. The shoulder work was particularly stupid because it was done during a rainy spell and completely dissipated before a month was out. This chip-seal is a similar proposition; a fine waste of taxpayers money. Plus it could've been done ay any other time.

Between this and the steadily decaying character of the new customers who have been coming in, the option of selling wholesale to a grocery store chain is getting to look better and better. Especially considering that I can get almost the same price I do selling to the public.

I wish I could say "anyways, it's been a nice day" but it is hot and humid and smoky.

The tomatoes and melons are starting to ripen though, so I remain upbeat and will wish anyone reading this a most wonderful moment of happiness.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

I see now why my Exasperation poster amused you. Sorry you're facing all that frustration. And thanks for your comment yesterday. It was a breath of fresh air just when I felt like I was suffocating myself in insanity.

Guy said...

I devour insanity, it's tasty with a light mayo dressing.