Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cherry pickin' Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there.

Dad and I started the picking cherries before the birds came along and wiped them out. We got about a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of them. Bro stopped by and gave dad an air mattress for floating on the pond. I, being a poor man myself, got him 40 ounces of Budweiser delight. He was kind and shared a glass with me over dinner.

I never had the good fortune to become a father but since the choice was largely out of my hands I feel little in the way of regrets. I recognize the missed opportunity mostly in the abstract. My many friends who are fathers report mixed feelings on the matter but mostly universally say that it is a remarkable experience.

Tomorrow we start back at work in Bro's welding shop to get the second fertilizer spreader finished. Seems a bit odd to be making a piece of complex equipment for farming if this is going to be our last year of big scale farming but the welding experience is worth something if nothing else. Plus it will be a really nice piece of machinery to own.

Wishing you all a strong, supportive and nurturing night.

2 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Parenthood is great, but one can live a fully satisfying life without children. In many ways, especially for women, having kids really limits the time and energy for other pursuits. That's why so many high-achieving women don't have kids.

Unknown said...

Hello,

I just found your farming blog. It sounds beautiful where you live!

I'm also working with MoovetoAmerican.org, a group asking Americans to
"moove to American" and support 100% US beef. Thanks for the helpful information and posts.

Thanks,

Rebecca
www.MoovetoAmerican.org
Join the Moovement! Support American Beef.
Mark Your Calendar for June 28th Moovement